DIVIDING WHOLE NUMBERS LESSON PLAN
1. Present the idea that division is subtraction of groups of numbers
2. Show a few simple examples
3. Introduce the terms Dividend, Divisor, and Quotient
4. Introduce the different signs (mathematical operators) that represent division
5. Go through examples of each and identify the Dividend, Divisor, and Quotient
6. Do practice drills on matching the correct number and the correct term
7. Discuss the fact that division is the inverse of multiplication
8. Work through a few examples
9. Discuss the concept of dividing by 0. Explain why the answer to such questions is undefined
10. Ask the class whether the order of the numbers in a division question matters. Discuss the correct answer.
11. Introduce long division
12. Work through examples that work out evenly
13. Go through the multiplication check at the end of each.
14. Ask what would happen for questions that did not work out perfectly.
15. Work through questions with remainders and perform the checks.
16. Introduce questions involving multiples of ten. Work though the various types of questions.
Have students complete worksheet. A passing grade is 70% or greater.
Lesson Printable Materials -
Print out the teaching lesson pages and
exercise worksheets for
use with this lesson: